Monday, May 3, 2010

A trial in whole wheat pancakes

So, pancakes and I for some reason don't quite understand each other. As much as I try to learn the language it never translates. Either they burn, or don't cook all the way through, or are just ugly unappealing shapes. I just can't win.
But inevitably for my Sunday brunch I was craving pancakes, and thought to myself,"Okay, you stubborn bastards, this is the last time".
I found a super easy recipe (figure I will start simple) and crossed my fingers.

Ingredients

1 cup whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt

1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 cup buttermilk (I didn't have any so I made some by mixing one cup milk with one tablespoon of white vinegar)
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 egg

Fresh berries (optional)

Begin by mixing the dry ingredients (except for the brown sugar). Once those are mixed together, whisk together the brown sugar, buttermilk, vegtable oil and egg then mix into dry ingedients. The batter should be lumpy, if you over mix the batter your pancakes will come out dense instead of like little blankets of clouds covered in syrup.
Let your batter sit for 5-10 minutes. While that sits heat your nonstick skillet or grittle heat up over medium high. Once hot pour 1/3 cup portions onto your pan, at this point you can drop your fresh berries on each pancake (I used blackberries). Cook the pancakes until little bubbles form on tip. Flip and cook for another 2-3 minutes. Serve warm and done!




Unfortunately I didn't document any of the steps to my first successful pancakes, but the next time I (hopefully) succeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment